CUSTOM EMBROIDERED GARMENT FAQs
As a Magpie client, you see yourself as unique and deserving of a garment that captures your true essence.
You also value Canadian-made with extraordinary quality and expert advice.
There are two paths to realizing your dream of a Magpie embroidered garment. Margaret will not only guide you to the right design decision from her collection (whether singly or in combination with other collection designs), she can also create a distinctive custom design based on your individual vision and personality. Either way, all designs are further customizable through an extensive range of thread colour selection, names, dates or special thoughts, and fonts.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION WHEN ORDERING CUSTOM-EMBROIDERED GARMENTS
- Plan to start the process of creating your own embroidered jacket as early as possible, ideally, 8-12 weeks before your special event (or required) date, to ensure ample time for design consultation, digitizing revisions, production and shipping. Feel free to contact us with any of your design ideas, photos or questions.
- There are two phases to the creation of your custom-embroidered garment. The first entails client consultation & design creation (which includes any new artwork requested & digitizing of newly created embroidery designs or further customization of a Magpie Design), and then the actual embroidery stitch-out on your garment (referred to as “production”). We can consult easily with a Zoom call to share ideas and information.
- Personalized names, dates or special thoughts can be incorporated into many designs for an additional fee. You are responsible for correct spelling of names, dates or words.
- A full colour digital proof will be sent to you for final approval before design testing and final production begins on your garment/jacket for your signature.
- All embroidery designs are always thoroughly pre-tested and adjusted before final embroidery is applied to your garment as part of the production process. Photographs will be provided to you as part of the design process.
- A surcharge of $200.00 CDN. will be applied for orders placed less than 8 weeks before your 'required by' date.
- A payment plan is available through the Sezzle App when you are ready to check-out the shopping cart.
- You are responsible for shipping your garment to our studio. Make sure your jacket fits comfortably (not too tight). This is to ensure that the jacket being embroidered is indeed correctly sized to suit the client's needs. We are not responsible for poorly fitting jackets.
- We can create a jacket shipping label with insurance and email it to you once you provide your address. Or you can ship it to our studio yourself. We are not responsible for any items lost or damaged due to shipping.
- Jackets must be in new-like condition; no scuffs, holes, or tears. Denim jackets must not have any “distressed areas” which won’t support the embroidery stitches. Denim jackets must be 100% cotton. Lycra in the denim fabric makes it stretchy and very hard to embroider without the fabric around the embroidery puckering. Center seams on denim jackets should be avoided since they not only distract from the aesthetic impact of the embroidery itself but can also affect the registration of stitches and visually emphasize the center seam. A denim jacket- back with a large center area with two side seams is the perfect surface to create a trouble- free design and will look amazing when completed. See the two image samples for clarification. If you have questions about the composition of your jacket, please email us at contact us. We're always happy to help.
- With denim jackets, be aware that the jacket will be machine washed and dried by us before production, spray starched to provide a suitable embroidery surface, and then machine washed & hung-to-dry post-production to remove starch and any alignment markings. We then carefully press the denim jacket before packaging and shipping back to you.
- For jackets with fixed linings (such as leather or faux leather), the lining will be manually unstitched at the bottom so that the embroidery will only be stitched through the outer/surface layer, and hand-stitched back into place following production. Additional fees will apply if such adjustments are required. The back side of the embroidery will show on the inside of an unlined jacket (such as a denim jacket).
- We reserve the right to cease production if, after receiving and inspecting your jacket, it is deemed unusable for the proposed embroidery application. If you cancel your order at this point, the cost of return shipping the original garment back to you will be at your expense. Production will otherwise only resume once your replacement jacket is received by us. (The originally shipped item will then be returned with your final order.) It is always helpful for you to send us pictures of your garment (before sending it to us) to assist in identifying any potential problems.
- Production will only commence once the design proof has been emailed to you for your final approval and signature. Magpie Embroidery Designs is not responsible for any further design, spelling or other typographic errors remaining beyond the point of client acceptance. Similarly, no further design changes can be accepted once production has commenced.
- Due to the customized nature of this product, returns & exchanges are not accepted. Please contact us if you have problems with your order.
READY TO SHIP FAQs
We have many beautiful items such as t-shirts, fleece hoodies, fleece sweatshirts, etc. that can be shipped to you within 7-10 business days of receiving your order & full payment.
- Shipping is calculated at checkout based on the weight of the item and your mailing address.
- Magpie Embroidery Designs is not responsible for any import duties or taxes.
- We do not accept exchanges or refunds since each item is created as it is ordered. Please contact us if there is a problem with your order.
- Due to product inconsistencies from one manufacturer to another, we can’t accept garments for embroidering supplied by the client, such as fleece hoodies, t-shirts, sweat pants, etc. (with the exception of denim jackets or jeans, faux leather jackets and leather jackets-reserving the right of refusal if garment is in poor condition). We can, however, guarantee excellent finished results by embroidering on garments from our suppliers.
Magpie Embroidery Designs is very pleased to offer our valued clients wishing to do their own embroidery both bespoke digitizing of embroidery designs with artwork provided by you, or an embroidery design selected from our library of designs already digitized by us, and customized to your taste. We welcome your email inquiries through contact us and we'll respond within one (1) business day. The following information hopefully answers some initial questions you may have to start seeing your creative ideas visualized into beautiful and unique embroidery. If your questions aren't answered here, please don't hesitate to ask us!
Custom File Digitizing
Please e-mail us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org (not through 'Contact Us') so that you can attach your proposed artwork (this cannot be done through the website at this time).
For quotation purposes and optimum stitch-out results, your artwork should be of the highest quality possible, ideally at a minimum 300 dpi resolution. The better the artwork, the better the digitizing will be. We work in both CorelDRAW® and Illustrator®, and can usually work with high quality files in the following formats: .jpg .psd .ai .tif .png . We then digitize your design using state-of-the-art Wilcom® Embroidery Studio Designing e4.5 software. Test stitch-outs of each design are carefully assessed for accuracy before stitching out on your final garment.
- To facilitate our prompt response including cost quotation, to ensure the highest quality results possible, and to best expedite your order, your inquiry should include:
- The fabric type/application the embroidery file will be stitched on (e.g. t-shirts, denim, gauge of leather, etc.);
- Finished size of the embroidery design;
- Embroidery machine being used and file format required;
- Your timeline for completion of your project;
- Your proposed colour scheme and, if fixed (i.e. logos, etc.), the necessary colours (as RGB, CMYK, or hexadecimal), plus any fonts required or preferred; and
- Any comments or special instructions regarding your design if your artwork is not self-explanatory (e.g. additions, deletions, areas to be filled in or outlined only, etc.).
- Extra charges will apply to correcting poor quality artwork files submitted or any additional artwork being requested.
- We cannot and will not digitize any copyrighted images or logos unless express and sufficient written permission from the copyright holder is provided for Magpie Embroidery Designs to do so. You will need to obtain and forward such permission directly to us. Franchisees, dealers, distributors, sports groups, etc. in particular should carefully examine their business contracts/agreements with the parent company or entity to demonstrate what permissions are granted for their use of such copyrighted materials in the manner being requested for advertising, promotional or other purposes. If the client is otherwise purchasing artwork from a stock website, a suitable license for use of such artwork is also required.
Magpie Embroidery Designs will be happy to discuss any potential copyright issues with you before confirming and commencing any custom order.
- At Magpie Embroidery Designs we're committed to providing you with problem-free digitized embroidery files that run smoothly on your machine to produce highest quality results. We do not charge solely by stitch count and will never pack in additional unnecessary stitches to drive up the cost to you. Accordingly, due to the widely varied complexity of artwork, applications to which the embroidery will be applied and multiple digitizing techniques that might be employed, we're unable to offer any flat-rate pricing for custom ordered digital embroidery files. Your design will evaluated and cost-estimated based on its level of complexity and difficulty.
- Magpie Embroidery Designs' cost estimate for digitizing the project to your specifications will be sent for your approval before any digitizing commences. Payment in full must also be received before digitizing begins. Once completed, proofs will be provided for your final approval before any test stitch out. Two design file adjustments are included in the price of custom digitizing, after which additional adjustments to the file will be at an additional cost.
- Magpie Embroidery Designs will always do a test stitch out of your design in-studio before the design file is released to you via e-mail in the machine file format & hoop size requested.
Exclusivity of Custom Digitizing
- Save and except any artwork specifically created by us, Magpie Embroidery Designs does not and will not purport to own the copyright on any artwork provided by the customer for use in custom digitized embroidery files. The customer is solely responsible for obtaining all necessary copyright permissions for use of such artwork. Magpie Embroidery Designs will, however, retain full copyright ownership of all final custom-ordered digitized embroidery files as set out fully in Copyright & License.
- Your custom digitized and formatted embroidery files will not be sold or otherwise provided by Magpie Embroidery Designs through our website, to any third party websites or directly to any third party for any purpose except as may be required by applicable law and/or a court of competent jurisdiction within Canada. The person(s) or entity for whom we create any custom embroidery design file will be bound by all Magpie Embroidery Designs' Copyright & License provisions. Said parties will not copy the file to any third party, change, alter or delete any portions of the file in any manner whatsoever, provide the file to another digitizer to undertake such file modifications, or otherwise represent the file in any form as being of their own creation.
- Magpie Embroidery Designs can also deliver final stitched-out products utilizing the above custom digitized files or any digital file offered in our library, and can also help you source many such items for embroidering. Prices quoted will of course vary depending on the size and complexity of your order, but will include cost for the embroidery itself and the garment/product costs (which must include one extra unit for test stitch-out).
- Payment in full is required for custom embroidery orders before orders to our product suppliers can be placed or embroidery commenced. A surcharge will be applied to all 'RUSH' orders on a case-by-case basis subject to your prior confirmation of acceptance.
- Because all embroidery on garments or home decoration items is custom ordered there are no refunds, returns or exchanges on such finished embroidery or physical goods except in the case of error(s) directly attributable to Magpie Embroidery Designs. If the order is cancelled by you before physical goods such as caps, linens, garments, etc. have been ordered from our suppliers, then only the amount attributable to such goods will be refunded. If an order is cancelled by you part way through the process otherwise, then all monies paid are forfeited.
- Magpie Embroidery Designs is always here to assist you with your custom embroidered projects. To further explore options to also have your custom digitized designs or any of those in our library actually embroidered on finished items, please don't hesitate to contact us for further information.
EMBROIDERY DESIGNS LIBRARY FAQS
(Note: For Digital Downloads-you must have an embroidery machine to use these files)
Why choose Magpie Designs for your digital embroidery file needs?
At Magpie Embroidery Designs, we're committed to providing you with high quality design files and digitizing services to ensure beautiful, problem-free embroidered results. We carefully manage all file workflow throughout the digitizing process to minimize your time delays, production costs and inconvenience associated with excessive jumps, trims or colour changes during stitch out. All of our digitizing is done in-house, and none of our embroidery files are ever out-sourced to discount third-party digitizing services. In the unlikely event you encounter problems with one of our files, you can also easily connect directly with the actual digitizer and be assured of prompt personalized attention.
Will our designs work on my machine? What machine file formats are available?
Each brand of embroidery machine operates using its own proprietary file format. Please refer to your machine manual for the correct machine format.
Each design file that you purchase and download from Magpie Designs comes in the following most common file formats:
Husqvarna / Viking
HUS, VP3 & VIP
Brother / Babylock / Deco
Tajima (Commercial Format)
Melco / Bravo (Commercial Format)
If you require a format not specified in the above list, e-mail us at email@example.com to see if we can create the particular machine file format you need. We'll be happy to respond within 24 hours.
I have two different embroidery machines. Do I need to purchase two separate files?
No. Each design file comes with all the above popular machine file formats included for that design’s hoop size. Custom digitized file orders, however, will only be provided in the specific file formats requested.
What software do you design with?
Wilcom Embroidery Studio Designing e4.5
What Operating System (OS) do I need (Windows 10, Mac OS)?
You can download and unzip the design folders in either Windows or Mac OS.
Would you like photo's of finished projects? Do you have an 'inspiration' area?
We'd love to see your finished projects showcasing our designs and would be very pleased to share them with other avid embroidery enthusiasts. Feel free to e-mail us your results to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include any details, story or explanation about your project that would help to inspire others.
How do I contact you?
You can contact us through our Contact Us page to submit any questions, suggestions or comments you would like. We welcome your feedback and will endeavour to respond to all messages within 24 hours of receipt.
Where are you located?
We are located in Peterborough, Ontario Canada.
Can I sell my finished items with your designs on them?
Yes, you can sell your finished projects/items using Magpie Designs embroidery files subject to limitations as set out in our Copyright & License agreement.
What currency are your digital files/services charged in?
All products and services are charged in Canadian dollars. Applicable taxes will only apply to orders originating within Canada. Purchases can certainly be made with foreign currencies. Your final cost in that currency will be determined through the appropriate conversion rate applied at checkout (i.e. by Paypal, Visa, Mastercard, etc.).
Do you accept credit card payment by phone, personal cheques or money orders?
We do accept Visa, Mastercard payments directly by telephone, or money order. We also accept internet transfer payments from Canadian customers. We do not accept payment by personal cheque.
Money orders and e-transfer payments can only be accepted in Canadian dollars. All such orders will only be processed when payment in-full has been received by Magpie Embroidery Designs and cleared by our bank. Please email us at email@example.com for detailed information for paying by e-transfer or money order.
What if I have no Paypal account?
You can still you use Paypal as your payment method by checking out through the shopping cart as a guest or one-time user. You are not required to sign up for a Paypal Account if you don’t want to.
Again, Magpie Embroidery Designs also accepts telephone Visa, Mastercard payments, bank e-transfers for Canadian customers, or money orders.
What if I lose my account password? I can’t login to my account?
First confirm that you have typed in the correct e-mail address and password. If you still can't login please follow this link to login and/or create a new password.
What is your return/refund policy for digital design files?
Because the nature of the “products” you purchase are digital files, there is no exchange, refund or returns of said files permitted. For additional information please refer to our Returns & Exchanges Policy page.
Can I resize my design once received?
It is not recommended that you resize your designs since they have been digitized to stitch out with best results for the size specified. Increasing a design size in the machine format your embroidery machine uses will not necessarily add the necessary stitches, underlay or pull compensation adjustments. It merely increases the physical size of the stitch-out design likely causing problems with mis-registration of the design file, improper stitch lengths, etc.
If you decrease the size of a design it does not decrease the stitch count and you run the risks of stitches being so small they will stitch one on top of the other, frequently resulting in needle breaks, thread breaks and/or fabric tearing.
It is always best to contact us by email through our Contact Us page before purchasing a design should you require a size not currently listed on the website. It would be our pleasure to provide you with a size-adjusted file to ensure your design stitches out with optimum results!
Can I combine designs to make a new design?
Yes. Follow the recommended instructions in your embroidery machine’s user manual or your software.
I have transferred the embroidery designs to my USB stick but it doesn’t show up on my embroidery machine screen. Why?
Refer to your embroidery machine’s user manual to properly format your USB stick and to confirm the size of the USB stick your machine can read. For example, some machines have USB stick limitations such as 8GB.
If properly formatted, make sure the design transferred to the USB stick is for your machine’s file format (e.g. Janome uses JEF file format) and is placed inside the proper folders that were formatted.
Don’t load too many designs on the USB stick. The more designs on the USB stick the longer it takes the embroidery machine to read them. It is recommended you only load the designs you are using for the current project being worked on.
Your machine will not read embroidery files that exceed your largest hoop even though they are loaded on the USB stick. Make sure to confirm the hoop you have selected on your machine corresponds with the design size.
How do I download my design purchase?
Once you have checked out your shopping cart and completed payment, you will receive a confirmation e-mail with links for the download area of the website. Click on this link and you can download the zipped design files.
Alternatively, if you have signed up for an account on the Magpie Embroidery Designs website you can go to the purchases area of your account and your zipped design files will be waiting for you there. These files will be kept in your account for as long as you have an account on Magpie Embroidery Designs website. The download links do not expire.
For custom digitized files, please refer to Custom Digitizing & Embroidery.
What is included in the zipped design folder?
The zipped design folder that you download from the website will contain the following items:
- Design files in various machine file formats;
- Production worksheet displaying design size in both imperial and metric sizing, thread colours, stitch count, design size, number of thread colours, number of thread colour changes, number of thread trims.
- Copyright statement;
- -Jpeg image of actual stitch out;
- Templates for applique pieces if applicable (paper pattern pieces to cut applique pieces by hand);
- -Pdf. of instructions if a project based file.
Is there a limit to how many times I can download a particular design file I have purchased?
No. Your purchased designs reside inside your account in your purchases/downloads area.
Why do I need to login to my account to receive freebie design files?
This aids us in developing new designs based on the popularity of designs which are downloaded. It also places the freebie design in your downloads area for future downloads if you lose your designs.
Do you do private embroidery workshops.
Yes. They can be arranged on an individual basis and are tailored to the student’s individual needs or specific project.
Please email through our Contact Us page to inquire about a private workshop.
Do you do custom digitizing?
We most certainly do. Please refer to Custom Digitizing & Embroidery section of the FAQs for more information, and contact us directly through the Contact Us page to further discuss your particular needs.
Do you do embroidery for people who don’t embroider?
We would love to create personalized embroidered items for you. Tell us what you need and we will be happy to create something extraordinary for you! Email us with your ideas or enquiries through contact us.
What if I find a mistake/omission in a design file?
Magpie Embroidery Designs endeavors to ensure all of our design files, instructions or other information included in the downloadable digital design file is correct. Please contact us if you find any errors or omissions and we will correct the issue as soon as possible. We will also post the updated version with corrections to our website and/or notify other customers who have purchased the same design.